Everywhere you go these days, you see people talking or texting on a cell phone. It's bad enough when they are in a store or walking down the street, but combining cell phone use with driving can be a death wish.
It wasn't so long ago that if you wanted to talk to someone on the phone, you stayed stationary until the conversation was over. Believe it or not, we muddled through our days without having a phone glued to our ears. Maybe people just have more to say these days but I don't get it.
I have had to get a cell phone only because there are no more phone booths around! What the heck would Clark Kent do now? The phone I have is a pay-as-you-go which we have strictly for emergency calls. I resent having to pay for the cards every couple of months, but it's now a necessity.
Is is just me, or does it seem people are so preoccupied with their gadgets that they don't see the real world around them? My kids are no exception, they all follow that same path. Anytime we see them, the head is bowed reading whatever is on their gadgets rather than paying attention to actual other people around them. All I can say about this behavior, is RUDE.
I read a novel by Stephen King not long ago entitled "Cell". And of course everything King writes is apocalyptic, but his tale is about this alien force that took over the brains of everyone using a cell phone and turned them into veritable zombies. A chilling take on what is otherwise accepted behavior these days. At the end of the novel, and I won't be a spoiler for those who may want to read it, but King does reveal that he does not own a cell phone and never will.
Maybe Stephen King's tale is not too far from the truth, maybe there is a whole generation of zombies living among us now.
No comments:
Post a Comment