Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Reason to Volunteer

I think it is natural for someone who has worked all of their adult life to want to take it easy in retirement. Believe me, I was one of those that felt that I deserved my free time! Just knowing that you don't HAVE to be somewhere at any particular time is very refreshing. But I really don't like just sitting around all day either, so I do volunteer for activities that interest me.

I enjoy being of some service to the community, but at the same time, I don't want to be made to feel obligated to any one cause. If there seems to be pressure to do more, or if I feel that the recipient of my volunteer efforts is not appreciative of what I am able to offer, then it might be time to move on.

So what I suggest to those organizations that rely on volunteer help is this: Be grateful. We who do volunteer do so at our own pace, and at our own time. We have earned this right.

No comments:

Post a Comment